The Open 2018
February 23th to March 27th.
For the seasoned vet, you already know what the CrossFit Open is, but here is the down low for the CrossFit newcomer. Each year the journey to the CrossFit Games begins with the CrossFit Open. The Open is a worldwide competition that every gym across the globe participates in. The competition lasts for 5 weeks and each week, a workout is announced on Thursday and you have from Thursday to Monday to complete the workout and enter your scores. It is a freaking blast and we do it every year!
Competition drastically helps with inspiration. The pressure to perform pushes you to train harder; the social boost of dozens of your best friends cheering for you will help you reach a higher plane. Heck, watching your teammates GO is inspiring.
Can we bring that worldwide thrill home? Can we deliver all the fun of competition without causing any anxiety attacks? We think so.
For all those who’ve never experienced the open here are a few bits of info.
- We have no idea what Friday’s workout will be. This workout is determined by the evil Dave Castro and is announced on Thursday night at 7pm. If you are interested, we encourage you to watch the announcement. We will be posting the link to the live feed.
- After the announcement, the coaches are gonna scramble. We have to make sure we have equipment in place and space in the gym. We have to be prepared for anything. This means potentially taping lanes in the gym, setting up equipment. Prepping special timers. Making copies of the judges score sheets.
- The 530a Class athletes get the first crack at the WOD which makes them the guinea pigs. If the workout is obviously long, we may even start a few athletes early.
- Workouts will be done at our weekly Friday Night Lights Throwdown! However, that weeks event will be Friday’s workout for the gym, so even if you can’t make it to the Throwdown, you can still participate and get points to your team. You can contact a certified judge (they will be known during the open) and set up a time to complete the workout during the weekend open gym hours as well. Look for upcoming Friday WODs that will prepare you for these kind of workouts!
On Fridays, there will be a heat assignment list. It is first come first serve. Before the WOD everyone will decided how they will approach the workout. Rx’d or scaled. Specific equipment comes out and stations are set up. If you do not have your own jump rope by now, this is the time to invest. We have a few left at $15. Get a rope and practice singles and doubles.
Everyone will be assigned a judge and everyone will be expected to judge. If you haven’t taken the judges course yet, you should. Your judge will be with you the entire workout, counting your reps and making sure that your movement meets the standards established. Please be sure to read the standards before coming to class. If you have questions, have them ready.
The first time you experience an Open workout can be a bit overwhelming. A crowded room with lots of people shouting encouragement. Trust me, it will be an experience you’ll never forget and begin looking forward to every year. You will be amazed at fun you will have cheering on your teammates.
Points are earned as follows:
- 1 point is awarded for every registered member of the team who participates in an Open workout.
- 3 points for top 3 male RX
- 3 points for top 3 female RX
- 2 points for top 3 male scaled
- 2 points for top 3 female scaled
- 2 points for top 3 male masters
- 2 points for top 3 female masters
- 5 points to the team who wins “The Weekly Spirit Challenge”
2/23: Points go to the team with the most certified judges
3/3: Points go to the team who have the most FB check ins from FNL #cfstcopen
3/9: “Patriotic Night” Points go to the team who posts the most photos from FNL wearing patriotic gear
Post a pic on your FB page #cfstcopen
3/16: Bring a friend night. Points go to the team who brings the most non-CF friends. Post a pic on your FB page #cfstcopen
3/23: Crazy Costume night! No explanation needed!
We’ve been prepping for the WODs the past few weeks. Now is the time to challenge yourself and have some fun! Sign up today so your points count!