“Don’t let excuses get in the way of your personal progress…” has been the motto of our April Athlete of the Month, Shane Sexton! Check out our interview with Shane to get to know him a little more and his journey at CrossFit St. Charles!
1. Tell us a little bit about yourself.
I grew up in small Illinois town 45 minutes South of Effingham, IL. I lived in the Terre Haute, Indiana area for over 7 years and moved to the St. Louis are in September 2019.
2. What made you start CrossFit and what has kept you doing it?
I started because I was very unhealthy and lacked motivation. I keep doing it because I feel a lot better (mentally and physically) and the community is awesome.
3. Has your motivation changed since you first started?
It hasn’t changed but it has evolved. It is no longer just about my health, it is also about the community.
4. What have you learned since joining the CrossFit St. Charles family?
Focus on personal progress.
5. What is your favorite movement?
6. What impact has CF had on you outside of the gym?
It has made me more confident and less afraid to try new things.
7. What is your next CrossFit goal and how close are you to reaching it?
Kipping Pull-ups. I am not sure how close I am to reaching that goal but strict pull-ups have gotten a lot easier for me.
8. What’s something we might not know about you?
My middle toes are webbed on both feet.
9. What advice might you give to someone who is concerning joining CFSTC or is new to the gym?
If you are worried about people in your class judging you, they won’t. They will be your biggest cheer leaders as you progress.
10. What is the Jen Motto? It’s tattooed on my arm
Lately it has been, don’t let excuses get in the way of your personal progress.
11. If you could write your own WOD, what would it look like?
It would have deadlifts, running, row machine, and box jumps
12. What are two of your favorite songs?
I am not good with favorites so I am going to put two songs that always cheer me up. Don’t stop me now – Queen and It’s A Great Day To Be Alive – Travis Tritt
Nice work and congratulations, Shane! We’re lucky to have you be a part of our community!
For more CFStC news and updates, make sure to follow us on Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/crossfitstcharles/), Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/crossfitstcharles) and join our Facebook Group! (https://www.facebook.com/groups/778089053048304)