Wednesday Recipe Review
Ok, yes. I know its Thursday. So this post is a wee bit late but its still has good intentions!
I must confess something here. I do not make up my own recipes. I use the magic of Google and my favorite foodie sites to plan my meals. There are so many out there who enjoy creating a new dish to share. I just want to eat.
So, every Wednesday I will review a recipe that I have made. You may find that they often come from the same site. I am a creature of habit.
The following recipe comes from one of my favorite sites. Skinnytaste.com I have to be honest, I’m not a huge fan of the name but the recipes are consistently ones I want to eat. It also gives great nutrition information so if you are counting macros, calories, points etc. its all broken down for you.
Not all recipes are Paleo but adjustments can be easily made. I don’t like fake foods like lowfat cheeses or sour cream. If I eat it, I’m gonna eat it. The choice is of course, yours.
I love the crockpot but my husband doesn’t. He complains that the meat is often overcooked. I have to agree with him. It seems the newer crockpots run a little hotter. I tend to decrease the cook time by 1-2 hours. No raw meat yet!
Crockpot Chicken Enchilada Soup
I love this recipe. Its super easy and makes enough for a family of 4. Leftovers are delicious and the soup is freezer friendly.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups less sodium chicken broth
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1-2 tsp chipotle chili in adobo sauce (or more to taste)-I used 1 tsp. of the sauce (not the actual chili ) and could have used 2 tsp.
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro (plus more for garnish)
- 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 14.5 oz can petite diced tomatoes
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 skinless chicken breasts (16 oz total)
- 3/4 cup shredded part skim cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 4 oz (1 small) haas avocado, diced
- 6 tbsp reduced fat sour cream, optional
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until soft, 3-4 minutes. Slowly add the chicken broth, tomato sauce and chipotle adobo sauce and bring to a boil. Add cilantro and remove from heat. Pour into crock pot.
- Add the drained beans, diced tomatoes, corn, cumin, oregano and stir. Add the chicken breasts; cover and cook on low heat for 4-6 hours. (Seriously, 4 hours tops)
- Remove chicken and shred with two forks.(I use Bear Claws– great gift idea) Add chicken back into the soup, adjust salt and cumin to taste. Serve in bowls and top with cheese, avocado, scallions and cilantro. Also great with sour cream or crushed tortilla chips. Enjoy!
Yield: 6 Servings, Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
- Amount Per Serving:
- Smart Points: 7
- Points +: 8
- Calories: 368
- Total Fat: 12g
- Saturated Fat: g
- Cholesterol: 58mg
- Sodium: 821mg
- Carbohydrates: 28g
- Fiber: 8.5g
- Sugar: 6g
- Protein: 31g
Read more at http://www.skinnytaste.com/crock-pot-chicken-enchilada-soup/#wdsbXeo1frITaMh0.99
Only 12 days left to register before the price goes up!
YOGA w/ Sarah! Starts Friday August, 28@ 10am
Lift Up Autism September 19
Festivus Games Oct 17th! Hosted by yours truly at CFSTC!
Check out Whats for Dinner!
What’s for dinner?
Jan 31- Mock Olympic Weightlifting Meet 7am warm ups
Jan 17-Saturday Field trip to O’Fallon Farmers Market 9:15a
Only 5 weeks until the CrossFit Open!