Our March Athlete of the Month, Nicole, is here and we couldn’t be more proud of how much she’s done in the gym! From being a former Jiu-Jitsu practitioner to now an obsessed CrossFit athlete, she’s been a great addition to the community! Read below for our full interview with her!
1. Tell us a little bit about yourself.
I grew up in Ohio and Tennessee. My husband and I are both prior military-I was active duty AF and he was a Marine. I’m married with 3 children and a stay-at-home mom. Cody 25, married, active duty AF, Kole 15, a freshman at St Dominic (he is currently in kids CF) Khloe 13, 7th gr at St Joes and obsessed with volleyball. I’ve been training CrossFit for 8 years and coached for 3 years. I love to read, hike, and do anything summer/sunshine-related. I love to drop in at other boxes when traveling to get different cues from other coaches and of course a shirt.
2. What made you start CrossFit and what has kept you doing it?
I stumbled across CF at our jiu-jitsu gym in Boulder and thought it looked fun & intimidating-I should try it. Lol! I love that the wods have so many movements and options, keeps it fun and engaging.
3. Has your motivation changed since you first started?
Originally my motivation was to understand/learn the movements/lifts. That’s still kind of my motivation but now it has evolved to being faster or lifting heavier!
4. What have you learned since joining the CrossFit St. Charles family?
That it doesn’t matter the state of mind I’m in when I enter the box-I’ll be smiling and laughing when I leave.
5. What is your favorite movement?
I love cleans of any kind!
6. What impact has CF had on you outside of the gym?
CF has given me friendships all over the US and taught me that my body is capable of some pretty amazing things.
7. What is your next CrossFit goal and how closer are you to reaching it?
I would like to get another BMU.
8. What’s something we might not know about you?
I’ve only lived in MO since Aug 2021 and in the past 16 years, we’ve lived in 7 states. Yeah, crazy. I stopped training Jiu-Jitsu when I became obsessed with CrossFit.
9. What advice might you give to someone who is concerning joining CFSTC or is new to the gym?
Understand that everything is scalable and manageable. Don’t go in with unrealistic expectations and take it each workout at a time.
10. What is the Nicole motto?
I don’t really have a motto. I just close my eyes, take a deep breath and talk myself through it.
11. If you could write your own WOD, what would it look like?
I love/hate EMOMS and like the sprints more than marathons. Maybe 12 AMRAP PCL/Cal row/HSPU or just PU-the Chief is my fave!
12. What are two of your favorite songs?
Sabotage by the Beastie Boys and NDA by Billie Eilish. I really like all genres.
Congratulations, Nicole! We’re all proud of you and look forward to seeing you improve your craft at the CrossFit St. Charles gym!