Steal This Meal: The Best Chicken Fajitas Ever (Serves 4)
- 1.5 – 2 lbs. of “pastured” organic chicken breast
- 2-3 ripe avocado (sliced into quarters)
- 1 red bell pepper (sliced into strips)
- 1 orange bell pepper (sliced into strips)
- 1 yellow bell pepper (sliced into strips)
- 1 large sweet onion (sliced into strips)
- 2 heads of Bibb or Butter lettuce
- Cumin, chili powder, freshly ground black pepper (liberal amounts of each)
- Sea salt to taste
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro (chopped)
- Trim and pound chicken with a meat tenderizer until all slices are a consistent thickness.
- Heat 1-2 tbsp of coconut oil in a pan (medium-high heat).
- Once the oil is hot, mix spices together and sprinkle half directly into the pan.
- Throw chicken on top of the spices, and sprinkle the other half of the spice mixture on top of the chicken.
- Allow each side to blacken and sear (about 1 minute) before flipping.
- When chicken is done, remove from pan and transfer to cutting board to slice into strips.
- In the same hot pan (with leftover spices), sauté the peppers and onions.
- Use the spatula to scrape blackened spices off the bottom of the pan, stir them right in with the veggies.
- When pepper and onion mixture is cooked to desired tenderness (3-5 minutes), remove from pan and transfer to serving dish.
- Fill the bottom of your plate with large leafs of lettuce. Pile hot peppers and onion on top, surround with jicama, avocado and mango.
- Drop the chicken on top of the whole glorious pile, top with freshly chopped cilantro.