For the seasoned vet, you already know what the CrossFit Open is, but here is the down low for the CrossFit newcomer. Each year the journey to the CrossFit Games begins with the CrossFit Open. The Open is a worldwide competition that we and every gym across the globe participates in. For 5 weeks a workout is announced, and we all do the workout. It’s fun and we do it every year. There’s even a scaled and masters division. This year we are going to have more fun than usual with it!
We are holding an in-house Intramural Open competition, consisting of 4 teams that you can be a part of! These teams will have opportunities to earn points during the 5 weeks of the Open. Captains of these teams have been decided and a few of them have already approached a handful of you, asking to be on their teams. That is their job! If they haven’t approached you yet, they will be soon!
Points are earned as follows:
- 1 point is awarded for every member of the team who participates in an Open workout.
- 3 points are awarded for every team member who scores top 3 for men and top 3 women in the gym.
- 2 points for top 3 male scaled/ masters and top 3 female scaled/ masters
- 5 points to the team who wins “The Spirit of the Open” each week. Last year we gathered with other gyms in the area and participated in a Community Open Throw-down. We’re doing it again this year, and the team who has the most people show up at these events, makes the most noise, and show the most support will be awarded these points.
Each team is limited to 20 people per team until all 4 reach that limit to keep things fair. We will extend the limit if necessary.
The Teams and Captains are:
- Flexual Healing– Ashley Harrsion
- Team KISMA (Kickin some MF’in Ass)- Ryan Barr
- Gunz & Buns– Elisabeth Brown
- HAKUNA MASQUATA– Connor Horstman
Feel free to approach captains too, I doubt they’ll say no!
Registration for the Open can be done at games.crossfit.com choose CrossFit St. Charles as your affiliate, and the price to register is 20$.
The captains will hold a draft of coaches and our competitive athletes in order to evenly distribute some of our more competitive, advanced athletes.
This will be done Saturday the 16th in a private meeting with the Captains.
The Open goes from February 25th to March 28th. Workouts are released on Thursdays and we are allowed 4 days to complete the workout. Workouts can be completed on Fridays during our regular class times or Sundays at the Community Open Throwdowns.
For your scores to be valid, your workouts must be judged. To have the Open run as smoothly as possible we are asking that 5 members from each team, or a total of 20 members that are participating, volenteer to take the judges course on the crossfit games website. (Assistance will be provided for those of you who volenteer to take the coures.)
We will have some random draws for prizes each week that will include gear, supplements and training packages and a GRAND PRIZE for the overall winning team!
Details on that to follow.
Go get registered and lets start this party!